I can now officially call my chili “award winning.” Of course, the institution conferring these credentials happens to also be my employer, so perhaps they’re a little biased. Out of about 30 entries at our Second Annual Faithbridge Chili Cook-Off last Sunday, my chili won the award for “hottest Chili.” Not exactly the best all-around category, but I’ll take it. Anyhow, it was:
- Open Source – I’m more than happy to share the recipe with anyone on request (assuming I can remember it–it was a bit improvised!).
- Irish – No water was used in the cooking of this Chili–only Guinness beer.
- Mexican – I used Serrano peppers in honor of one of my favorite former students.
- Deer – Yes, it’s Venison. I like to hunt, and I believe in the ecological principle, “if you kill it, you grill it.”
- Chili – And all the other stuff, plus lots of chili powder.
My Texas-born-and-bred wife and son dressed for the part too. I’m a Texas import. I just brought the chili…